Happy Friday, Waco!
From the blog
In the news
- 25 News KXXV - The governor will be in Waco on Friday, Oct. 23 to make the official announcement that Amazon will be opening a facility in Waco. (Posted 10/19/20)
- Mentor Waco - Our 2nd annual Friendsgiving lunch is centered around coming together to serve and share a meal with our local homeless community. The lunch will be served starting at 1:50 p.m. on Nov. 15 at the Hanger/Cub Garden. The donation list can be viewed here. Donations can be dropped off at Carver Middle School between Oct 19 - Nov 12. (Posted 10/17/20).
- City of Waco - The Waco-McLennan Office of Emergency Management announces a new COVID-19 test, at a new site along with later hours starting this Friday, October 16. Approximately 10,000 new Saliva based COVID-19 tests will be available starting this Friday, October 16, in downtown Waco at Heritage Square. These tests and sites will be in addition to the already announced self-administered 30,000 nasal swab tests currently available throughout October at various site locations seven days a week from 8 am-5 pm. Visit COVIDWACO.COM to see the dates, times and locations for ALL tests being offered for FREE and to register. (Posted 10/15/20)
- Sustainable Waco - Join us for the second session in the Virtual Sustainable Waco Conference series! Climate change has been an emerging force for 50 years and more change is inevitable regardless of our actions to control greenhouse gas emissions. To extremely vulnerable things that we all depend on are agriculture and water supplies. In this seminar, featuring Dr. Bruce McCarl and Chengcheng Fei from Texas A&M University, a brief portion will cover realized climate change so far and projections for the future. Then attention will be turned to implications for agriculture and water supplies. A number of topics will be covered including shifting crop mixes, pesticide costs, crop yields, land use shifts, water supplies, extreme flooding, precipitation intensity and drought frequency. CPE hours for teachers are available - please contact email@example.com with your information in advance to request hours for attending. (Posted 10/13/20)
- Startup Waco - Introducing Biz Bucks! If you’re like us, you’re all in for Downtown Waco. Biz Bucks is a way you can support Downtown Waco businesses by purchasing a $5.00 voucher that can be redeemed for $10.00 at a participating downtown Waco business. Program Partners cover the difference in cost so you get a 50% discount, and businesses get paid in full. We’re so excited about the opportunity Biz Bucks provides for our community to come together and support one another! Visit allinfordowntownwaco.com to learn more about Biz Bucks and participating locations. Purchase your voucher so you can start supporting your favorite Waco spots today! (Posted 10/12/20)
- Area Agency on Aging of the Heart of Texas - Beginning October 15 – December 7, 2020, Open Enrollment takes place for all Medicare Beneficiaries regardless of age. If you need to switch your Medicare Part D plans or talk to a Benefits Counselor about your Medicare, now is the time to schedule your time with a Benefits Counselor. (Posted 10/9/20)
- The McLennan Community College Foundation - Scholarship applications for 2021-22 academic year are now being accepted through the Foundation's website. The application will be available until midnight Jan. 15, 2021. For more information, contact scholarship coordinator Shelley Cotten at 254-299-8818 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Posted 10/6/20)
- Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service - Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, McLennan County and McLennan Continuing Education Department are offering a professional food manager certification training course. This program will be offered on November 2nd, and 9th at McLennan County Extension Office located at 4224 Cobbs Dr., Waco, TX 76710. The cost will be $125.00 which includes training, materials, and SERV Safe National Food Manager Certification Examination. The food manager’s certification will be valid anywhere in the state of Texas for five years. For more information and/or to register for “Food Safety: It’s Our Business,” the Professional Food Manager Certification Training course of Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, call Colleen Foleen at (254)757-5180. Space is limited so please reserve your space by October 23, 2020 by calling (254)757-5180. (Posted 10/5/20)
Jobs & Job Related
- Truck Driver - The Salvation Army - Under the direction of the Warehouse Manager, drives Salvation Army owned vehicle loading and unloading routine pickups and/or deliveries of material, donated or otherwise, to serve production needs of the store and/ or general operation of corps. Apply for this position at www.salvationarmycareers.org. (Posted 10/14/20)
- Truck Driver Helper - The Salvation Army - Assists the Truck Driver in the loading and unloading routine pickups and/or deliveries of material, donated or otherwise, to serve production needs of the store and/ or general operation of corps. Apply for this position at www.salvationarmycareers.org. (Posted 10/14/20)
- Maintenance Technician - The Salvation Army - The Maintenance Technician will perform a variety of routine repairs and maintenance work for buildings and grounds including minor heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, and carpentry work as well as routine maintenance and repairs. Apply for this position at www.salvationarmycareers.org. (Posted 10/14/20)
- Rainwater Grant Project Manager - Family Health Center - The Rainwater Grant Project Manager will report to the Grant Writer/Manager. Primary duties include management of a private foundation grant providing programs and services for school telehealth, a hospice & palliative care fellowship, chronic disease & behavioral health services, and health information technology. Requires coordination and communication skills internally and externally; current position and funding is for one year. Serious applicants may send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. (posted 10/8/20)
- Hotline/Data Manager - Family Abuse Center - The overall responsibility of the Hotline/Data Manager is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Family Abuse Center Hotline, train all hotline advocates, and provide day to day coverage of the hotline, ensure accuracy of data entry and client forms. In addition, the Hotline Manager will routinely check data entry by staff. (posted 10.7.20)
"Know Waco" Podcast
Act Locally Waco Book Club
November 10, 2020 • Time 6:30 • Via Zoom
The Act Locally Waco book club meets every other month to discuss books about issues that we think are important to Waco. For details about when and where we meet or zoom link, please click here to subscribe to our email distribution list.