Mr. Thomas (age 102) and Mrs. Margaret (age 100) Ballesteros received their vaccine. (Photo via COVID Community newsletter)
Happy Friday, Waco!
And Happy (almost) Mother's Day! Remember to take some time this weekend to tell your mom you appreciate her (if you click out of this newsletter to go call her, I won't be offended). And if Mother's Day is a sad or uncomfortable holiday for you, make sure to take care of yourself this weekend. Then, check out what's happening in Waco:
From the blog
⟶ Mon Jul 26 thru Fri Jul 30
⟶ Wed Aug 25 thru Thu Aug 26
In the news
Former mayor, Waco philanthropist Malcolm Duncan Sr. dies at 91 (Waco Trib, 5/5)
New Lady Bears coach Collen: 'I'm pretty confident in who I am' (Waco Trib, 5/5)
Walk-in vaccination options growing in Waco (Waco Trib, 5/5)
Elections loom Saturday for area cities, school districts (Waco Trib, 4/29)
Glenn Moore seeking milestone 800th win for Baylor against Kansas (Waco Trib, 4/29)
University High teens get taste of first responder careers (Waco Trib, 4/29)
University High School’s One-Act play is making history (Fox 44, 4/28)
Baylor organization offering free caps and gowns to seniors (Fox 44, 4/27)
Local pastor thanks Waco community for prayers while in ICU (Fox 44, 4/27)
- McLennan Community College- MCC is accepting applications for OTA program through July 15. McLennan Community College's Occupation Therapy Assistant program is accepting applications for the Fall 2021 semester. The application is available online at www.mclennan.edu/health-professions/occupational-therapy-assistant, and the deadline to apply is July 15. For more information, contact Glynnis Gaines at 299-8306 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- McLennan Community College's associate's degree nursing program is accepting applications for the Fall 2021 semester. The application is available online at www.mclennan.edu/health-profes
sions/associate-degree-nursing /<http://www.mclennan.edu/ health-professions/associate- degree-nursing/>, and the deadline to apply is 5 p.m. May 17. For more information, contact Shelley Blackwood at 254-299-8354 or email@example.com. (Posted 4/29)
- Waco Chamber of Commerce- Leadership Waco application are now open. The Waco Chamber of Commerce conducts the Leadership Waco program to identify potential community leaders and provide these individuals with information about various facets of our community, which improves the quality of life of area residents. Solutions to community needs demand the active participation of informed citizens. Leadership Waco offers structured learning opportunities in an atmosphere that stimulates creative thinking and encourages participants to work together to utilize both new and proven tools to meet the challenges of today and to prepare for tomorrow. Participants will expand their impact, ignite their passions, participate in thought provoking and insightful conversations, build relationships and develop their personal and professional leadership skills. Applications are due May 28 and can be found here. (Posted 4/8)
- Baylor Lifelong Learning- Brad Livingstone, Baylor's First Gent, is launching a new series of courses this April 7th with Baylor's Lifelong Learning. He has shared his passion for World War II in past years, as dedicated professional teaching history at the secondary education level. This is his inaugural course on Vietnam for Lifelong Learning. For more information on joining Lifelong Learning and registering for the course, visit www.baylor.edu/lifelonglearning. (Posted 3/9)
Jobs & Job Related
- Family Abuse Center Children's Services Manager- The overall responsibility of the Children’s Services Manager is to provide prevention services and educational/therapeutic activities for children and adolescents in the shelter. The Children’s Service Manager is responsible for coordination of the children’s program, which includes supervision of interns, volunteers, and/or staff as necessary. As needed, represents the FAC at community events, and completes other tasks as assigned by supervisor. The Children’s Services Manager, with the assistance of the Director of Case Management, will envision the comprehensive nature of the program (educational and therapeutic) and plan the program for the future years. For more information, click here.
- Waco Symphony- Executive Director, Waco Symphony Association, Full Time-Exempt, Salary: $70,000-$120,000/year plus benefits. Responsibilities: Day-to-day management of WSA administration, marketing, public relations, fundraising, planning and development and financial operations. Minimum job requirements: Bachelor’s degree, non-profit executive leadership experience (5+ years preferred) and successful fundraising experience in such areas as major gifts, sponsorships, special events and grants. Submit resume with work history references to the following secure email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First Presbyterian Church Administrative Office Assistant- First Presbyterian Church of Waco is looking for our next Administrative Office Assistant at First Presbyterian. This is a 30 hour per week position with benefits. The work environment is collaborative and joyful within a complex downtown environment. The tasks and challenges are varied and meaningful. The learning curve is continual. If you are looking for a fast moving environment of innovation as we respond to adaptive challenges facing the church of Jesus Christ today, you may be looking for us. High interpersonal skills as well as competencies with Microsoft and Adobe are a must. If you believe you qualify, please submit a cover letter and standard resume to email@example.com.
- Family Abuse Center Shelter Case Manager- Family Abuse Center is looking for a full-time Case Manager. The overall responsibility of the Case Manager is to provide case management services to residential program participants; facilitate evening groups; on call responsibilities on evenings and weekends, assure the coordination of services with other agencies; assist with the coordination of necessary shelter programs/activities; and provide therapeutic interventions as appropriate. As needed this position also provides coverage to the crisis line, meal preparation, and complete intakes for incoming shelter residents as needed. For more information about this posititon, click here. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Whitney.thomas@familyabuse center.org
- Family Abuse Center Resident Advocate- Family Abuse Center is hiring a part-time Resident Advocate. The primary responsibilities of the Resident Advocates (RA) are to provide crisis intervention and referrals on the 24-hour crisis line and provide resident assistance to those in the 24-hour shelter. R.A’s approve admission to FAC in accordance with policies and procedures, provide front desk coverage (answering incoming calls, assisting residents at front desk, etc.) in between hotline calls as needed, provides shelter intakes to incoming shelter residents and help clients move and settle into shelter and participates in volunteer training when needed. Other duties include crisis intervention, meal preparation, cleaning, giving resources to clients, maintaining client records, and ensuring confidentiality. For more information, click here. To apply send a resume and cover letter to Whitney.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cen-Tex African American Chamber of Commerce & Prosper Waco - The two organizations are excited to announce an opening for a new Workforce Initiatives Coordinator. This is a full-time shared position between Prosper Waco's Upskill Waco initiative and the African American Chamber's Esther's Closet program. The Workforce Initiatives Coordinator will be responsible for UpSkill Waco and Esther’s Closet training logistics, community outreach, and data collection/reporting in addition to managing Esther’s Closet. Any applicants interested in applying can send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- J.H. Hines Elementary AfterSchool Workers- J.H. Hines is looking for two part-time AfterSchool Workers. Beginning pay is $12.10 per hour. Hours are 2:00 – 5:30 or 2:30 – 6:00, M-F. One of the positions will be temporary (May 1 – May 31.) The other position will be on-going. In this job you will work with children (7 – 12 years old) helping them with homework/academic activities and enrichment activities. You will help the AfterSchool coordinator with meals, behavior management, set-up and clean-up of afterschool spaces, and other duties as assigned. To apply: 1) Send an email expressing your intent to apply and outlining your experience and interest in working with elementary school children to Angela Ceccato at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a resume if you have one. 2) Fill out an application on the Waco ISD Jobs site. These positions are listed in the “paraprofessional openings” section of the website.
- Waco Lions Park- Waco Lions Park/KiddieLand is seeking job applicants. Must be at least 16 years old. Have several openings for adults. Retirees and Veterans encouraged to apply. Email KiddielandWaco@gmail.com for info.
- Custodians and Cafeteria Workers - Waco ISD Human Resources - Join our team and make a difference in the lives of our students. To apply, visit www.wacoisd.org/apply. Click here for a listing of open positions. Click here if you are interested specifically in a child nutrition (cafeteria) position. Please contact us if you have any questions or need assistance with the application process at 254-755-9410. (Posted 3/19/21)
- Trinity Baptist Church Pastor- Trinity Baptist Church, located in Harker Heights and affiliated with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, seeks a pastor who senses God’s call to equip our congregation to worship rightly, fulfill the Great Commission, and embody the Kingdom of God in the community and beyond. We embrace the core values maintained by the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and Baptist Faith and Message (1963). We welcome applicants that reflect the diversity of the body of Christ. We believe in the inspiration of scripture, the equality of all persons, unity in diversity, and the priesthood of all believers. In communion with and through the power of the Holy Spirit, we follow the way of Christ and believe every Christian and every church is called to fulfill the Great Commission, share the gospel of Jesus Christ, and minister to the spiritual, physical, and social needs of people and communities Applications should include a cover letter and resume with three references. Email applications to email@example.com. (Posted 3/3/21)
- Family Abuse Center Executive Director- The Executive Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the corporation and is accountable to the Board of Directors for the overall management and operation of Family Abuse Center (FAC) to meet the organizations goals and objectives. The Executive Director is responsible for the implementation of Board policies; ensuring compliance with applicable state agencies and funders service requirements, laws and regulations; planning, implementing, and evaluating service programs; serving as a liaison with appropriate federal, state, and local agencies; recruiting and training staff; as well as managing the Center’s financial and facility resources.
- Esther’s Closet Coordinator- Esther’s Closet is a workforce development and self-sufficiency program to assist unemployed women. It provides professional training and professional workwear for clients at no cost. The Esther’s Closet Coordinator shall be responsible for the management, support, and growth of the Esther’s Closet program and its clients. (Posted 2/17/21)
- Urban REAP Program Staff- As a part of Urban REAP, this position works with the Urban REAP Director to craft and execute programs that communicate creation care and ecological justice to the Waco community. As part of this, this position assists with general operations of Urban REAP Programs, such as our aquaponics system, our composting system and our Garden Center. This position also supports our educational programs and community engagement initiatives. (Posted 2/5/21)
- Counselor II United Way Position - STARRY - Work with families in the community meeting Family And Youth Success program or Universal Prevention eligibility. Fulfill United Way grant expectations. Work to increase equity and inclusion in the Waco office by creating and maintaining community relationships and referral sources. Assist the program in increasing access for diverse populations by educating, empowering, and equipping staff to meet the needs of the community. To apply, please visit www.starry.org/jobs. (posted 1/3/21)
- Executive Director - McLennan Community Investment Fund - The Executive Director of McLennan Community Investment Fund (“McCIF”) will lead our organization through startup and continuation as a community development financing entity, providing affordable financial products to small businesses in economically distressed areas of McLennan County, Texas. (Posted 11/18/20)
Act Locally Waco Book Club
May 11, 2021 • Time 6:30 • Location TBA
The Act Locally Waco book club meets every other month to discuss books about issues that we think are important to Waco. For details about when and where we meet or zoom link, please click here to subscribe to our email distribution list.