Happy Friday, Waco!
Okay, I know I said last week that it was starting to feel like fall, but now it actually IS fall, as this Tuesday marked the fall equinox and the start of October is just days away. Another marker of fall? Football season! As I’m writing this, Baylor will play their first game on Saturday against the University of Kansas, and everyone on campus is excited, especially after the cancellations of the previous two games. But just in case football isn’t your thing, here are some other ways you can have some fun and support your Waco community this weekend and next week:
- Need some weekend entertainment? Support the arts by streaming the Deep in the Heart Film Festival or Baylor University Theatre’s production of The Revolutionists
- Want to help fight hunger in Texas? Join the McLennan County Hunger Coalition Hunger Action Team today at noon for their “Texans Feeding Texans” Advocacy Webinar. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the webinar Zoom link.
- Want to voice your opinion about a Waco issue? Check out videos from the Just Waco Waters Forum and log on to justwacowaters.consider.it to give your opinion about how Waco should solve its water challenges. Participation is free, open to everyone through October 15, and you could win a Mayborn Museum membership!
One last thing: be sure to register to vote, if you haven’t already! The deadline for registration in Texas is October 5.
As always, if you have information you would like to see included in Act Locally Waco or ideas for a blog you would like to write, send it to AshleyT@actlocallywaco.org.
See you next week!
From the blog
⟶ Tue Sep 29 thru Thu Oct 1
In the news
- Waco facing road funding challenge: Highway 6, I-35 overpass projects proposed for delay, 3 others would go ahead (9/18/20)
- Salvation Army seeks new volunteers to serve (9/25/20)
- Waco Parks and Recreation - Need homework help? Free virtual tutoring is now available through our three community centers! Click here to see details, and contact each center directly to register. (Posted 9.24.20)
- Family Health Center: Waco, TX - Flu vaccines are now available as of Monday 9/21! Call your clinic to schedule an appointment to receive one. (Posted 9.24.20)
- Mission Waco Youth - We are so excited to be back with our youth that we have missed so much! After-school program is being run as normal as possible, Covid style. With masks and social distancing, we are staying safe while also providing the same fun and care from staff! We have a few spots left for the semester, so reach out to McKenzie and Shay to snag one of them! Excited to see you all! #MWMW (Posted 9/24/20)
- Mayborn Museum - Check out videos from the Just Waco Waters forum (including the Mayor) AND log-in to give your opinion about how Waco should solve its water challenges. Participation is free, open to EVERYONE through Oct. 15th, and you could win a Mayborn Museum membership! (Posted 9/21/20)
- Grassroots Community Development is proud to announce a new phase of its highly successful roof repair program to help low income families with repairing their roofs. They opened up enrollment for the program August 15th with a deadline to accept applications of October 23rd. Read on for more information: https://tinyurl.com/y2ofvzyd. (Posted 9.21.20)
- Waco Friends of the Climate - The Waco Friends of the Climate will virtually host the 4th Annual Climate
Crisis Art Exhibit, October 1 through November 30. Art is judged on relevance to the theme and artistic excellence. 7 prizes will be awarded, with a top prize of $1000, and include adult and student divisions. There is no fee to enter. To enter, email email@example.com.(Posted 9/18/20)
- Waco ISD - The Waco-McLennan County Office of Emergency Management, the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District and the Texas Division of Emergency Management are partnering to offer FREE COVID-19 testing sites in September and October. There will be one walk-up site and two drive-thru sites. All testing sites are FREE. (Posted 9/11/20)
- The Brazos Theatre of Waco - We're not going to sugar coat it... things are pretty dire at the theater. Because of the generosity of great friends like you, we have made it this far. But, we've hit the end of our resources. We have enough to pay the rent on our building this month, but all other bills are going to have to wait. But- if every person who reads this donates just $10, we could make it until the end of the year! And don't forget, everyone who contributes during this down time will be included in a large Gratitude Poster to be displayed in our theater for a full year! Please consider visiting our donation page, and be a part of the future of the Brazos Theatre of Waco! (Posted 9/4/20)
- Waco Habitat for Humanity - The Waco ReStore will be having a Half Price Brick Sale now through the month of September! Pallets of pavers are 50% off and pallets of block are 75% off! Stop by during our regular business hours and don't miss out on these great deals! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about our brick inventory. (Posted 9/4/20)
- Animal Birth Control Clinic is low on laundry detergent. Every spay/neuter gets at least one towel to cozy into. If you are able to drop off a container once (or from time to time), it would help so much. The clinic is located at 3238 Clay Avenue, Waco, TX 76711. If it is after-hours, leave it by the back door, with your name and contact info. (Posted 9/1/2020)
Jobs & Job Related
- Veterans Outreach Case Manager - Caritas of Waco - The Veterans Outreach Case Manager is a collaborative supporter and member of the Caritas of Waco team with the objective to support the mission of Caritas by being responsible for the case management of all Veterans at the outreach offices and local area. (posted 9.24.20)
- Waco Bao Team Member - Waco Bao is a new Taiwanese pop-up food concept under Waco Cha currently at the Waco Downtown Farmer's Market and Eastside Market. We are looking for a part-time Waco Bao-specific Farmer's Market team member (8-10 hours/week) that has flexible weekend schedules for our pop-up tent at the Waco Downtown Farmer's Market and Eastside Market. Benefits include free food & drinks and higher than minimum wage hourly pay+tips. (posted 9.21.20)
- Technology Support Specialist - Methodist Children's Home is seeking a Technology Support Specialist to join our Technology department. The specialist will work with a team of individuals who installs, supports and maintains the technology system of MCH. (posted 9.10.20)
- Development Coordinator - Family Abuse Center - The Development Coordinator will participate in development activities consistent with fundraising strategies and as directed by the Executive Director and will cultivate productive relationships with donors, volunteers and other affiliates. Send resumes, cover letter and writing sample to Kathy.Reid@familyabusecenter.org (posted 9.2.20)
- Communities In Schools (CIS) Site Coordinator - Mexia High School - Responsible for overseeing the daily operations, supervision, and management of Communities In Schools of the Heart of Texas programs at a specified public school campus. (posted 8.19.20)
"Know Waco" Podcast
Act Locally Waco Book Club
November 10, 2020 • Time TBA • Location TBA
The Act Locally Waco book club meets every other month to discuss books about issues that we think are important to Waco. For details about when and where we meet, please click here to subscribe to our email distribution list.