MCC awarded $112,500 Texas Reskilling Grant
By Candice Kelm
McLennan Community College has been awarded $112,500 as part of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s Texas Reskilling Support Fund Grant program.
The new program aims to help Texans affected by COVID-19, including displaced workers needing to gain new skills to re-enter the workforce and also to support students who left their pursuit of higher education before receiving a credential. MCC’s award is part of $18.1 million awarded by THECB to 49 Texas institutions.
MCC has designated the funds to serve up to 75 students who previously stopped and would like to return to MCC to complete a certificate or associate’s degree. More than 70 of the college’s programs are approved for the program. Eligible students will receive $500-$2,500 per semester and can be enrolled either full or part-time.
To be eligible, the student must:
· Be a Texas residents eligible for in-state tuition;
· Have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
· Have financial need and be eligible for federal Title IV aid (including students enrolled in short-term non-eligible Title IV workforce credential programs, but who are otherwise Title IV eligible);
· Have affirmed they were affected by COVID-19;
· Be enrolled in an eligible undergraduate or short-term workforce credential program either full or part-time;
· Have not been enrolled in an accredited postsecondary institution in the previous academic semester or previous six months; and
· Must be within 12 months of completing their credential program.
Students wishing to enroll for the spring semester and interested in the program should complete the Reskilling Fund Application during the advising process.
For more information about the program or to enroll for spring classes, contact Highlander Central at 254-299-8622 or email@example.com.
The Act Locally Waco blog publishes posts with a connection to these aspirations for Waco. If you are interested in writing for the Act Locally Waco Blog, please email Ferrell Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.