From the Blog
If you can't do EVERYTHING, start with these three!
Keep Your Garden Beautiful
It’s always a good week to do something good for the community or to support a cause that’s important to you. Here are a few opportunities happening this week. Keep Waco
Beautiful is holding their Spring COMPOST, TOPSOIL, and MULCH Sale tomorrow at the Farmer’s Market. They are selling organic compost, topsoil, and mulch provided by their partners, Living Earth - Waco! All products are $4.00 a bag. The sale will be from 9am-3pm....or until they run out! All Living Earth products are made from recycled yard waste from WACO. All proceeds benefit Keep Waco Beautiful.
Get Interview Ready
The East Waco Library is hosting a couple of Job Hunting Workshops. The first one, Tomorrow from 10 to noon, will focus on resume writing and how to use the work in Texas Website. Then on Thursday from 5 to 7, there will be a workshop on interview skills. Both workshops are free and open to the
Shoot for a Cure
The American Cancer Society is holding its annual “Shooting for a Cure” skeet shoot tomorrow morning. Registration starts at 9 and the shooting begins at 10. Round up all your skeet shooting buddies and head out to Weber’s Shooting Range on the I-35 frontage road in Troy. Ammo is provided and loaner guns are available. All shooters will receive breakfast, beverages, and lunch after the event. Tickets start at $100 per person and can be purchased on the 2020 Waco Cattle Baron’s Ball website.
This week in the news
Good Neighbor Waco, a Christian non-profit organization, is seeking singles or married couples to serve an average of 7-10 hours per week in exchange for partially subsidized rent. Resident workers live in private quarters on site. A portion of their service hours involves hosting groups using the community rooms at 2301 Colcord Ave. and participating in household upkeep or administrative work. With their remaining service hours resident workers are encouraged to create and run neighborhood projects in their areas of interest including the arts, urban gardening, community engagement, education, worship, etc. Applicants would commit to 9-12 months of live-in service, to begin June, July, or August 1 (with specific dates and roles to be discussed during the application process). Residents must be able to live and work well with others and contribute meaningfully to community living. Applicants over 21 are preferred, although exceptions may be made. Good Neighbor does not discriminate by race, gender, gender expression, ethnicity, nationality, age or sexual identity. Although we expect settlers and board members to be Christian in order to follow our mission, activities at Good Neighbor are not restricted by religion.
For more information and an application please contact Heather_Deal@baylor.edu
Jobs & Job Related
- Operations Administrator- The Humane Society of Central Texas is dedicated to ensuring that every animal at the Waco Animal Shelter finds a loving home through foster, adoption, or rescue. We are seeking a multi-skilled Operations Administrator to help organize and facilitate all operations of the organization. You must be a true team player experienced with fulfilling multiple roles at once. Any administrative or systems aspect of our organization will be your responsibility. Additionally, all members of our staff must be highly effective at interacting positively with the public, embracing the diversity of our community and welcoming them as partners in our lifesaving mission. The ideal candidate must have exceptional communication skills, and be willing to dedicate themselves to the mission of the organization, ensuring that every person who comes in contact with the organization has an exceptional, efficient experience. For more information or to apply, visit https://www.indeed.com/job/operations-administrator-abb1c4b774591307
- Associate Director of Development - Tarleton State University - Tarleton State University is hiring two individuals at the Associate Director of Development level. These are direct-fundraising roles and you can find all of the details here: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TARLETON_External/job/Fort-Worth-TARLETON/Associate-Director-of-Development_R-034640 (posted 1/4/21)
- Counselor II United Way Position - STARRY - Work with families in the community meeting Family And Youth Success program or Universal Prevention eligibility. Fulfill United Way grant expectations. Work to increase equity and inclusion in the Waco office by creating and maintaining community relationships and referral sources. Assist the program in increasing access for diverse populations by educating, empowering, and equipping staff to meet the needs of the community. To apply, please visit www.starry.org/jobs. (posted 1/3/21)
- Data Coordinator and Accounting Position - First Presbyterian Church of Waco - This position requires a highly motivated person who enjoys a variety of administrative responsibilities that extend from book keeping to newsletter design and layout. Must have 3 years of administrative or professional work experience (additional education may be substituted for experience). Experience with InDesign, Excel software programs and accounting practices is preferred. Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Posted 12/2/20)
- Custodians and Cafeteria Workers - Waco ISD Human Resources - Join our team and make a difference in the lives of our students. To apply, visit www.wacoisd.org/apply. Please contact us if you have any questions or need assistance with the application process at 254-755-9410. (Posted 11/20/20)
- Shelter Coordinator - Family Abuse Center - The overall responsibility of the Shelter Coordinator is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Family Abuse Center emergency shelter. Key responsibilities include supervising resident advocates, shelter manager, and case managers; overseeing shelter operations; compiling shelter data/statistics/reporting; program development, management, and evaluation; providing case management services to clients. As needed this position will answer crisis calls, supervise shelter case managers, resident advocates, and children’s services and complete other tasks as assigned by supervisor. Must be able to respond to emergencies in the shelter at all hours of the day and provide on-call services and fill in when shelter staff are unavailable. Resumes and cover letters should be sent to Whitney.email@example.com (Posted 12/17/20)
- Executive Director - McLennan Community Investment Fund - The Executive Director of McLennan Community Investment Fund (“McCIF”) will lead our organization through startup and continuation as a community development financing entity, providing affordable financial products to small businesses in economically distressed areas of McLennan County, Texas. (Posted 11/18/20)
The Art of Relevance by Nina Simon
March 17, 2020 • 6 PM • Location TBA
The Act Locally Waco book club meets every other month to discuss books about issues that we think are important to Waco. For details about when and where we meet, please click here to subscribe to our email distribution list.